General Overview of an Intercom
What is an Intercom?
An intercom is a system of telecommunication within a given environment.
Where Can I Use An Intercom?
- At any work or business environment such as an office, company, industry, school, hospital, clinic, eatery, hotel, guest house, site etc.
- At Home.
Benefits of Intercom from G TELECOMS SERVICES
- Intercom calls are free of charge and there are no subscription charges.
- It eases communication within the home or work environment.
- It saves time.
- It increases work efficiency.
- It is relatively cheap to supply and install.
- It is fast.
- It is not disturbed by network problems.
- It enhances security.
- External GSM line(s) can be incorporated into it.
Functions of Intercom
Dialing out directly
External calls can be made by dialing the number directly from any of the extensions wherever one is in the building, complex or compound.
Note: 0 must be dialed first before the external number.
Forwarding multiple calls, automatic correction and forwarding hold
When an outside call comes in, extension 1 can answer it and forward it to extension 2 which can in turn answer and forward it to extension 3 and so on.When a wrong extension number is dialed, all you need do is dial the correct extension number again without having to drop the hand piece. When a call has been forwarded, the forwarding extension can hang up as soon as he hears the waiting tone instead of waiting till it is picked up. The line automatically holds and even the outside caller hears the waiting tone as soon as the call is forwarded.
Call back on no answer
When an external call comes in, extension 1 rings, if no one answers, it forwards it to extension 2 which will then ring 6 times after which all extensions with the exemption of disturbance-free extensions will ring by turn to hold the line.
Extensions can call each other internally free of charge.
When two extensions are communicating internally and one of them wants to dial an external line, he should dial “*” and his own extension number (1 to 8), hear the external dialing tone and dial the external number; this hangs up the other extension automatically.
Prompt to hang up on outside call coming in
When an external call wants to come in while 2 extensions are communicating internally, the hang-up prompt will be heard in the extensions; at this moment, one of the extensions may hang up so that the other can be automatically connected to the external call.
When an extension is in use, the other extensions can’t wiretap (eavesdrop).
Dialing external line restriction on appointed extension
Each extension can be configured to prohibit dialing local (external) calls.
Dialing initials restriction on appointed extension
Each extension can be configured to prohibit dialing numbers initiated from 0 to 9.
Call duration restriction
The call duration on an extension can be restricted to between 1 and 12 minutes and a maximum of 24 minutes. When the call duration expires, the line cuts automatically.
Three - party conference
When an extension is answering an outside call, it can call another extension to join for a 3-party conference during which one of the extensions can be cut and while the other remains connected to the outside call.
(1) If an external line is connected by an unauthorized person, the exchange will send strong interfering signals to the external line thereby making it unable to dial and communicate. At this point, any extension that picks will hear the anti-theft tone.
(2) If an unauthorized person is using the line while two extensions are communicating, the exchange will also send strong interfering signals(anti-theft signal will be heard in both extensions), making the unauthorized user unable to operate.
If in the process of an extension communicating with an external line, the line is wiretapped, the extension will hear a warning tone of “Da…da” thereby prompting the extension to directly warn the wire tapper to stop the illegal action at once.
Choosing not to connect external lines
Intercom can serve as an internal exchange only. You can do without connecting external lines. Dialing tone, busy tone and waiting tone are still provided.
Direct connection of extension 1 with external lines on power cut
On power cut, extensions 1 will directly connect with external lines to guarantee uninterrupted communication.
(1) Disturbance free: when an outside call comes in, extensions configured as disturbance-free will not ring yet they can answer or forward the call.
(2) On-Duty extension configuration: extensions not configured as disturbance-free automatically become the on-duty extensions.
(3) Computer telephonist or manual duty: you can choose from either modes as it suits your needs.
(4) Terminate anti-theft function: anti-theft function can be terminated if required.
(5) Fax interface configuration: an extension can be configured as a fax machine interface. When an outside call comes in and the other extensions do not answer it, it will automatically be forwarded to the fax machine.
(6) Reconfigure ringing times before postponed activation of fax machine:
when configuring the fax interface using programming function, a user can configure the extension to ring 2 to 6 times before the fax machine is activated even though the original factory configuration is 4 times.
(7) Resume initial factory configuration: one can cancel all configurations and resume the initial factory configuration and then reconfigure.
When an external call is answered, the call can be forwarded to other extensions. The forwarding extension can hang up after hearing the waiting tone and the forwarded extension rings.
Digital Recording of Messages
Messages can be recorded in an intercom network that will be played to the hearing of an external caller as a form of voice interface.
For example: one can record a message such as ‘‘Hello. This is Excel Trusts Nigeria Limited. Press 3 to call, press 8 to fax, press 0 to check the directory.’’ on the intercom. This message will be played whenever an external call is coming into the network.
Telephonist Duty Mode
This becomes activated when a message has been digitally recorded. When an external call comes in, the caller will be prompted to input or dial the extension number of the respondent which then rings. If the respondent doesn’t pick it up, all the extensions will ring by turn or the appointed extension rings. Any of the extensions can be picked up.
(1.) Dialing out through another extension: your secretary can dial an external line and forward it to your extension or you can have a 3-party conference.
(2.) Consulted forwarding (call filtering): a secretary can make or receive an external call for her boss and forward it to his/her extension. Interestingly, both the secretary and boss can communicate with the external caller being unable to hear their conversation. The external caller will only hear the waiting tone and will be kept waiting until either extension drops.
Programmed configurations are preserved on power-cut (power-cut memory)
While reconfiguring the programmed functions, the last configuration can be preserved on a power-cut through 40 years.
The functions above are benchmark functions for any level of intercom technology. The digital intercom technology provides data services in addition to the voice services discussed above. It is however far more expensive to supply and install than the analog intercom technology which provides only voice services.
The manual for the usage and configuration of the intercom will be provided after supply and installation. Relevant training will also be given to all users.
Major Components of an Intercom
- Telephone Boxes
Copyright © 2012 GALSIX TELECOMS SERVICES, All Rights Reserved.